S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
简介South Korea and the United Arab Emirates struck a bilateral free trade agreement Saturday, which is ...
South Korea and the United Arab Emirates struck a bilateral free trade agreement Saturday, which is expected to enhance bilateral trade and overall economic relations, Seoul's industry ministry said.
South Korea's Trade Minister Ahn Duk-geun and the UAE's foreign trade minister, Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, signed the joint statement on the conclusion of negotiations for the bilateral Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement in Seoul, according to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.
It is South Korea's 24th FTA and the first free trade deal with a Middle Eastern nation.
The CEPA is a type of FTA, which emphasizes a broader scope of economic cooperation and exchanges on top of market opening.
The two countries plan to officially sign the agreement in the first half of next year following legal review and necessary domestic procedures, the ministry said.
"The countries have concluded the negotiations, reaching a significant milestone in light of the strategic bilateral relationship," the joint statement read.
"The CEPA will serve as a catalyst for the enhancement and promotion of economic relations, while also increasing and diversifying bilateral trade," it said.
Under the deal, South Korea will remove tariffs on 92.8 percent of all items traded, and the UAE will lift tariffs on 91.2 percent of all products within up to 10 years.
South Korea is expected to enjoy growth particularly in exports of eco-friendly vehicles, weaponry and electronics, as well as fresh food items.
The UAE will also remove a 3 percent tariff on crude oil over the next 10 years, which will help boost South Korean refiners' price competitiveness and ensure stable supplies.
"In the service sector, the UAE decided to open its online gaming, medical service and other industries in which South Korea is highly interested. The agreement is expected to further promote K-content in the Middle East," a ministry official said.
"The UAE is South Korea's key partner country in the Middle East under 'the special strategic partnership.' The CEPA is expected to further boost bilateral ties in a future-oriented manner and beef up cooperation in such fields as energy and advanced industries," he added.
Two-way trade came to around $19.5 billion in 2022, and the UAE is South Korea's 16th major trading partner, government data showed. (Yonhap)
김태효 국가안보실 1차장은 북한의 최전방 감시초소(GP) 복원에 대응해 우리 GP도 복원할 계획이라고 27일 밝혔다.김태효 국가안보실 1차장. 연합뉴스김 차장은 이날 KBS 뉴스라 ...
Korean tech conglomerate Kakao could lose its controlling shareholder position in its internet-only ...
Despite consistently falling reader engagement, independent bookstores are surviving -- and even thr ...
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- Davichi to return with new single next month
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- 홍준표 "서울 메가시티, 시대 역행…尹정책과도 안맞아"
- ‘北 정찰위성 3차 발사’ 질문에 美 국방부 “계속 모니터링”
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- Nara Space successfully launches cube satellite
- 홍익표, 조국 총선 출마설에 “조만간 뵙고 말씀 들을 것”
- JYP to 'take K
- 19 S. Koreans held captive in Myanmar freed: ministry
- S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
- SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- Dunamu hosts forum on blockchain's potential
- Bikes or motor vehicles? E
- Seoul Metropolitan Traditional Orchestra meets electronic beats
- S. Korean shares close higher ahead of US inflation data
- Seoul hosts ICC seminar highlighting role of Asia
- 한·미 북핵 대응 전략 10년 만에 다시 쓴다
- [Today’s K
- Ruling party urges Yoon to veto opposition
- Business groups condemn labor union immunity bill
- Multicultural educator Min Byoung
- British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
- Ruling party reform committee under pressure to disband
- Korea, Japan airport operators hold first post