Golf club's 'no Japanese car' policy sparks controversy
简介A South Korean golf club has caused controversy online for its policy of restricting services for th ...
A South Korean golf club has caused controversy online for its policy of restricting services for those driving Japanese cars.
The club, located in North Jeolla Province, prohibits parking of Japan-made cars at the club's parking lot, according to a notice posted on an online community on Nov. 11. Staff at the club will not load and unload golf clubs for those arriving in Japanese cars, it added.
Toyota, Lexus, Infiniti, Subaru and Isuzu cars are among those listed as banned in the notice.
“Do not forget the contributions of our ancestors who defended this country under the Japanese occupation,” the notice reads, referring to when Korea was under Japanese colonial rule from 1910-45.
“The purpose of this policy is not to forget the men and women who made sacrifices for the freedom of Korea during the Japanese colonial rule."
A nationwide boycott of Japan-made goods, mostly clothing, beer and cars, began in 2019 against Tokyo's export restrictions of some key industrial materials to Korea. The boycott has in recent years lost traction as Japanese brand goods have soared in popularity, especially among the younger generation, alongside improved Korea-Japan ties.
The notice drew mixed response from netizens. Some expressed support for the company, while others criticized the measure as a marketing gimmick, pointing to the popularity of Japanese-made golf clubs in Korea, which are not subject to restrictions at the golf club.
The vehicle ban has been in place from Jan. 1, 2022, the notice added.
Hanwha Ocean is leading a government research project on defense and security technology for buildin ...
MARRAKESH, Morocco -- South Korea has "no urgency" to lower its key lending rate as bringing down in ...
Chinese contemporary artist Yue Minjun recently unveiled in Seoul paintings he created during the pa ...
S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
Kia to expand EV lineup with mass market appeal
Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- More chat with parents, greater chance of studying medicine, education
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- Tving’s ‘High School Mystery Club’ to return with season 3
- Woori Bank establishes Bangladesh regional headquarters
- The Beatles release new track ‘Now And Then’ after 27 years thanks to AI
- [New in Korean] Millionaire dog sponsors human artist in Yun Ko
- N. Korea diversifying cybercrimes amid drop in value of cryptocurrency: report
- [New in Korean] Even in city overrun by mold, humans dream of stars, sunsets
- FM makes final pitch for World Expo 2030 in France
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- [Herald Interview] Cha Seung
- 6 pct of executives in S. Korea's top 100 firms women: data
- [From the Scene] Incheon Airport goes global to Batam, Indonesia
- Fifty Fifty enters Billboard's year
- "최강욱 '설치는 암컷' 발언 뭔 잘못이냐"는 야권 여성인사
- LG Display appoints LG Innotek chief as new CEO
- Pianist Kim Jun
- Leeum Museum ecological project starts Dec. 1 with Chanel Culture Fund
- [From the Scene] Jewel Changi offers glimpse of how to make airport fun
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- Ready meals gain attention at 2023 Coex Food Week
- [Korean History] In 2008, Korea's National Treasure No. 1 went down in flames
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- Story of first female leader of traveling entertainers reimagined
- 이재명 "가장 큰 문제는 오만, 몸가짐·마음가짐 철저 관리를"
- S. Korea elected as member of UNESCO World Heritage Committee
- 김웅 “한동훈, 돌 좀 맞고 욕먹더라도 강남 3구서 출마해야”
- S. Korea, Britain forge strategic partnership on ODA projects
- Court orders Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- 이준석 "난 박근혜 키즈 넘어섰다…한동훈도 尹키즈 벗어나야"