Kakao completes its first own data center
简介South Korean IT giant Kakao, having suffered from its worst-ever server shutdown last year, has comp ...
South Korean IT giant Kakao, having suffered from its worst-ever server shutdown last year, has completed its first in-house data center in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, the company said Tuesday.
The new facility, called Kakao Data Center Ansan, spans 47,378 square meters within Hanyang University’s ERICA campus in the industrial city, some 29 kilometers south of Seoul. It is expected to become fully operational by the first quarter next year.
"Our gratitude extends to both Ansan City and Hanyang University for helping us build an efficient, resilient, and eco-friendly data facility. This advanced infrastructure will be a cornerstone in our dedication to providing everyone with reliable services,” Kakao CEO Hong Eun-taek said during an opening speech.
The completion ceremony was attended by over 100 people, including Hanyang University President Lee Ki-jeong, Ansan Mayor Lee Min-geun, Ansan City Council Vice Chairman Lee Jin-bun, regional community representatives, and construction personnel.
Kakao said the new facility was a “hyperscale” center that can accommodate 120, 000 servers and archive 6 exabytes of data. Following the setup of its operating system and after rigorous testing, the facility will kick off its full operations next year.
The center has been constructed with safeguards against natural disasters, equipped with earthquake-resistant designs and multi-tiered fire response systems.
Aligning with sustainable protocols, the facility also integrates renewable energy mechanisms and efficient waste management cycles.
During its establishment, Kakao actively collaborated with local businesses, supporting regional events like the Ansan Science Valley Science Festival and contributing to Hanyang University's ERICA Campus development fund.
Moving forward, in partnership with Hanyang University and Ansan City, Kakao aims to spur industry-academia collaboration and regional economic growth.
The need for Kakao to operate its own infrastructure became more urgent after a fire at its SK C&C data center in Pangyo last October resulted in a major service disruption spanning five days.
Following the incident, Hong committed to investing 460 billion won ($342 million) in a new data center.
Violinist You Da-yoon has won the second prize at the 2023 Long-Thibaud International Competition, a ...
Jungkook of BTS presents his journey since debuting on the K-pop scene, showing that he is now livin ...
The South Korean military on Thursday said it has detected indications that North Korea has delivere ...
- S. Korea reports additional cases of lumpy skin disease in cattle
- Year after deadly crowd crush, victims, families yet to leave it behind
- [KH Explains] Tesla ditching its premium strategy?
- NewJeans, Ive win first national culture merit
- Seoul shares hit 7
- Economy set for mild recovery, but bumpy road still ahead: BOK
- Extended getbol, Busan wartime capital sites make UNESCO's tentative list
- Samsung unveils next
- Seoul shares open lower on US losses
- [Weekender] Indie bookstores thrive in reading
- [Herald Interview] Through memories, Bora Jin pens ode to grandfather and Busan
- Talks on Goryeo artifact's repatriation resume a decade later
- Back to square one on return of Goryeo relics from Boston museum
- LG Uplus Q3 net income down on higher costs
- Marking 105th anniversary of independence, Poland highlights growing ties with Gyeonggi Province
- [Today’s K
- Defense minister rejects plans for J
- Samsung CEO highlights AI safety research
- 'Omega X will not give up': Boy band returns to share message of hope
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Anthropologist stresses multidisciplinary approach for strong Korean studies
- [From the scene] Jazz music livens up Seoul's streets
- Child hurt after angry dad pushes the swing too hard
- Mama Awards stays in Japan for 2nd straight year
- Lawmaker calls for specifying China's responsibility in UN resolution on NK human rights
- Kyobo Life chairman wins top industry honor
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- From Itaewon to Hollywood, Park Seo
- [Herald Interview] Korea
- US envoy vows to make clear 'inextricable' link between N. Korea's human rights abuses, threats
- Kard signs with Cardi B, Post Malone's agency