N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
简介North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reut ...
North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reuters reported Monday, as the recalcitrant regime is preparing for what would be its third attempt to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
The North apprised Japan's Coast Guard of the planned launch in the direction of the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, according to Reuters.
South Korea has said Pyongyang may go ahead with the launch as early as "this week or so," while urging the regime to "immediately" stop the launch preparations.
The North initially planed to make the third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time.
The North's launch preparations drew keen attention amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have warned the North against the launch, which they say would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
Lt. Gen. Kang Ho-pil, chief director of operations at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that Seoul would take "necessary measures" should the North go ahead with the launch.
Observers said that the North appears intent to secure intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets as it is far behind the allies in ISR capabilities despite its focus on developing an array of formidable weapons systems, including submarine-launched ballistic missiles and tactical nuclear arms. (Yonhap)
Korean Air, South Korea's leading airline, said Wednesday that it has ordered 20 additional Air ...
For one local beer aficionado, the recent increase in the variety of alcoholic beverages available a ...
국민의힘 김태우 강서구청장 보궐선거 후보가 5일 강서구 방화동 모아타운 통합추진위 사무실 개소식에서 발언하고 있다. 연합뉴스강서구청장 보궐선거 사전투표를 하루 앞두고 김태우 국민의 ...
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
- Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
[Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
South Korea warns tit
YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- Kia unveils ‘tiger
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- S. Korea's inflation grows faster, stays over 3 pct for third month in Oct.
- [Today’s K
- PPP decides to lift membership suspensions of ex
- TVXQ to hold 20th
- ‘It’s OK to put fried chicken, ramen on jesa table’
- Viviz goes all out for 4th EP ‘Versus’
- Blinken to discuss Russia, Middle East, N. Korea during visit to Seoul: State Department
- Omega X to return with 3rd EP ‘iykyk’ next month
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- BTS Jungkook's star
- "위성사진까지 대조한다" 밭에서 4억원어치 보물 캐는 사람들
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- [Herald Interview] Director Lee Chung
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- 유승민 “안철수·이준석, 초상집서 상주끼리 그만 싸워라”
- Seoul shares up nearly 1 pct on eased concerns over Middle East conflict
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- Kia reaches tentative agreement with union
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- Kia management, union reach tentative wage deal to avoid strike
- '2023 Box Gallery Exhibition' by Youth Impact shows art made of discarded paper
- “이게 KF
- Scholars shed light on late Samsung chief’s management initiatives
- Ruling party to launch innovation committee after crushing by
- S. Korean industries to see modest recovery in 2024: think tank